CPT News Release: Traffic Commissioner launches new industry accreditations
Kevin Rooney, the Traffic Commissioner for the north east of England, has today launched two new and professionally-recognised bus and coach industry accreditations at Coach & Bus Live in Birmingham.
The accreditations – Bus Operations Manager and Coach Manager – have been developed by the bus and coach industry through CPT’s Skills & Training Committee, and in partnership with People 1st and the Guild of British Coach Operators. The accreditations are also approved and supported by the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT).
Speaking at Coach & Bus Live, CPT’s Operations Director, Stephen Smith said:
“I am delighted to be launching our new Bus Operations and Coach Manager accreditations alongside the Traffic Commissioner for the north east of England, Kevin Rooney.
“The Traffic Commissioners have been very supportive in the development of these professional standards and, along with the Workshop and Engineering Manager accreditations introduced last year, they show the importance that CPT and the industry places on developing and recognising the professionalism of its managers.
“These accreditations also recognise and reward the outstanding contributions that so many of our managers make every day in delivering a first class service to our customers.”
Stephen continued: “Candidates passing the assessment will also receive the member status of the CILT and Membership of the Institute of Operations Management (MIOM), along with the CPT accreditation (valid for four years).
Kevin Rooney, the Traffic Commissioner for the north east of England, added: “Buses and coaches provide essential transport for many. Running reliable and safe bus and coach operations is a complex business and demands a professional approach from transport professionals.
“Traffic Commissioners welcome this initiative which has the potential to deliver safer and more reliable transport services, contributing to economic growth and social inclusion.”
Applicants for the accreditations must first complete an online questionnaire (on the People 1stCareers That Move website) before being put forward for an intensive two-day audit designed to allow candidates to demonstrate that they have extensive knowledge of all aspects of the Operations Manager role. The auditing roles are being carried out by senior industry figures Malcolm Robson and Phil Baker, formerly of Ipswich Buses and Baker’s Coaches respectively.
NOTES TO EDITORS
- The Confederation of Passenger Transport UK(CPT) is the national trade association representing bus and coach operators.
- People 1st is the sector skills council for hospitality, passenger transport, travel and tourism in the UK.
- The Guild of British Coach Operators is an association of top quality coach companies dedicated to providing our customers with a first class service.
- Membership of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport offers access to a unique range of benefits designed to support members, personally and professionally, throughout their career.
- Membership of the Institute of Operations Management provides operations and supply chain personnel with their badge of professional credibility.
- The launch of CPT’s Bus Operations Manager and Coach Manager accreditations will take place on the CPT stand at Coach & Bus Live (Stand J4) at 1400hrs on Wednesday 30 September.
- For more detailed information or comment, please contact Christopher Nice or Pauline Gaunt at CPT UK on 020 7240 3131.