CPT Mobility Scooter Code
On Wednesday, 14 September 2011 and following discussions with the Department for Transport, CPT launched a Code of Practice for the use and acceptance of Mobility Scooters on low floor buses.
The Code simplifies and puts in place standardised procedures for Operators and Mobility Scooter to ensure they are able to safely use bus services. The Code aims to make clear to all concerned the types of mobility scooters our vehicles will be able to accommodate.
It introduces a permit system for the mobility scooter user that will make it easier for the bus driver to recognise that the mobility scooter has been approved by the Operator and the user has been trained in how to safely board and alight from the bus. The permit will be accepted by all Operators who adopt the Code.
The Code is being implemented through four documents:
- a general information leaflet that can be used by operators and staff as well as scooter users and members of the public;
- 2 visual scooter recognition guides for driver reference and use; and
- a credit card-sized scooter permit which is issued to scooter users by operators on successful assessment and training in boarding, alighting and moving within the vehicle.
- general enquiries from the public / scooter users about the Code; and
- a slightly different version for scooter users who have been refused.
A significant section of our industry has already announced that they are adopting the Code and are listed below. Transport Minister, Norman Baker MP has asked to be kept informed of progress and we therefore encourage any operator adopting it to advise CPT by clicking here
The documents are also available as EPS files should you wish to customise the artwork. To request a CD containing these files, CPT Members should email their address by clicking here.
To date the Code has been accepted by;
- Blackpool Transport Services Ltd
- Country Bus
- National Express
- Nottingham City Transport
- Prentice Coaches Ltd
- Quality Line
- Reading Transport Ltd
- Southern Vectis
- Thamesdown Transport
- Transdev Blazefield Limited
- Western Greyhound
- Wilts and Dorset
- Yellow Buses
- Ipswich Buses
Mobility Scooter Leaflet (pdf) Click here to download the attachment Mobility Scooter driver Guide 2 (pdf) Click here to download the attachment Mobility Scooter Driver Guide 1 (pdf) Click here to download the attachment Template letter: Handling complaints (doc) Click here to download the attachment Template letter: Promoting scheme to users (doc) Click here to download the attachment Mobility Scooter Permit (pdf) Click here to download the attachment